Wednesday, November 14, 2012

First Sentences

I am currently a part of a workshop on the blog Ink in the Book, wonderful workshop!   We are currently working on first lines of our WIP.  Which I agree is so!! so!! important when pulling your reader in.  However the process makes me think Hmmmm?  We are all working so hard at developing this beginning but REALLY, how many books have we read that you think "Is anything ever going to happen?  Who are all these characters?  What is going on?
I especially had to stop and wonder after I was reading Twitter and one of the authors I follow was asking if the current book she was reading ever got better.  All the responses were just keep reading....it picks up in the middle...  Don't give up it starts slow.  And I had to again ask REALLY?  Are we really giving these authors a free pass at boring beginnings?
So today I am sending out a great big ATTA BOY to my fellow authors who are working so hard to write a beginning that catches us and won't let us go!  Keep up the good work.  And I send extra magical wishes to all of you that a publisher will read your beginning and love your story.  

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you, Connie! I can count on one hand how many books I kept reading after the first page that didn't catch my attention

    Go first sentence!
    Viva La rocking first sentence!

    ReplyDelete